Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A collaborative art project from an ethnically/culturally diverse group


...of toddlers.


I like to think that my son is responsible for the sweeping gestures in the center third.

This is a detail shot of a long fingerpaint-on-craft-paper panel, painted by the feet of the "Hummingbirds" (1-2 years) group at the daycare center at which my son spends five days a week.

I know that this is hardly "high art," but it's the piece of visual...um, stimulus? that I've been most struck by over the past few weeks, no doubt in part because of its associations -- my child is painting!! -- but also because of its beautiful colors and 'strokes.'  And considering that I'm more than willing to get visual stimulation from rust patterns and peeling paint in the subways, I think it's fair for me to post this.  I'd love to get a good-quality image of the whole painting.

At some point, it may be worth posting a collection of the best peeling-paint-and/or-rust patterns that I've come across (I have hundreds of photos).  Not much to talk about semiotically but, like this painting by toddlers, some of them are truly fascinating and beautiful to me.  Finding beauty where I can find it has helped me stay sane living in an at-times-standoffish New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment